The theme for this years BASS Festival is Revolution, exploring physical movement, music as a weapon of change and celebrating the creators of radical new music and styles.
Punch are offering between £500 – £3000 through their BASS Commissions fund for artists to create new work in music, dance, spoken word and theatre.
Here’s the themes that they’re wanting commissioned pieces to explore;
- Musical Revolutionaries: – artists who have changed the face of Black music
- Promoting the next generation – what is the next big thing?
- Showcases for heroes in the emergence of Dubstep, Hip Hop, Afrobeat Jazz.
- May the Circle be Unbroken: Sounds that have made the soundtrack to changes in society such as Steel Pulse or Gospel singers
- Spins and Flips: revolutions on the dance floor
- Transformations: can you through words imagine new ways to present work or new stages to present it
There’s also a BASS Talent Award to be claimed, in association with Aspire 4u. Young people aged between 16-24 will have the opportunity to produce a specially commissioned performance, with an award of up to £1000.
For more information and how to apply, visit the Punch website. Deadline for applications is 12 noon on 14 February 2011.