Kinda charming this is:
From 12 – 30 August, Ikon is running a tailor shop in the old Salvation Army charity shop, 3 New Street, Erdington.Â Led by creative facilitator Jess Worley and local members of the Erdington Arts Forum, the shop will be making small fabric whales designed by pupils from Erdington Hall Primary School
It’s to tie in with Claudia Losi’s Balenaproject – the installation of a lifesize cashmere whale at the Ikon gallery in September (obviously…).Â Rather than something that big, the tailor shop will produce 85 of the smaller whales.
If you can sew, have at least eight days to commit and would like to get involved with the project then give Claire (Ikon’s Education Curator) a call on 0121 248 0708.
More info on the Ikon Gallery news page.
While we’re on the subject of the Ikon, the gallery is still opening til 8pm on Wednesdays until 10 September and the guests for the remaining ‘These are a few of my favourite things‘ are:
- 6 August – David Prentice, one of Ikonâ€™s founder artists
- 13 August – Glenn Howells, architect
- 20 August – juneau/projects/, artists Ben Sadler and Philip Duckworth
- 27 August – David Lodge, writer
- 3 September – Kelly Large, artist
- 10 September – Jonnie Turpie, Director of Digital Media, Maverick Television
Places for those are free but need to be reserved by calling Ikon on 0121 248 0708.