Roadshow West Midlands: Ecosystem is an interesting looking event run by the Networking Artists Network to be held at Staffordshire University in Stoke-on-Trent on Saturday 24 March from 12.30 â€“ 6pm. Topics under discussion include:
- How do artists relate to the art market?
- Why is there no significant commercial system in Birmingham or the West Midlands?
- Are regional networks over-reliant on the current art funding structures?
- What are the alternatives to the commercial gallery system?
The speakers are:
- Ruth Claxton â€“ Birmingham-based artist. She has shown widely in the UK and is represented by Arquebuse in Geneva. She is also a member of artist-led group Self Service, whose current project is Pub Conversations
- Tom Godfrey â€“ artist and co-curator of Moot, a Nottingham-based artist-led gallery.
- Susan McNally â€“ Art Consultant and Project Manager and Co-Producer of New Art Birmingham.
- Matt Roberts â€“ Founder of Matt Roberts Arts, a not-for-profit artist-led organisation that creates opportunities for early career artists in new locations and new contexts, and to link up networks in London with potential partners across Britain.
- Ian Vines â€“ Exhibition and Programme Coordinator at the Potteries Museum in Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent.
The cost is Â£15 and places are limited so you’ll need to submit a CV. The deadline for applications is March 10th. More details here.